FANs interested in CodeNEXT met Saturday, August 12 to discuss recommendations that FAN could make to City Council, Planning Commission, Zoning and Platting Commission (ZAP), staff, and consultants. In the near future, FAN members will have an opportunity to vote on whether to support each possible recommendation. In keeping with FAN’s openness, transparency, and use of technology to include more people in the conversation, we are inviting discussion here on the forum about each recommendation before it is put to a vote.
1. What do you think of this recommendation?
2. What would you change, if anything?
3. What do you think of the rationale?
4. Do you have specific examples from staff’s existing CodeNEXT proposals that you believe must change to satisfy this recommendation?
The land development code should allow all forms of neighborhood-scale housing (including small apartment complexes, single family homes on small lots, duplexes, triplexes, accessory dwelling units, row houses, co-ops, and tiny homes) in all neighborhoods.
- Imagine Austin calls repeatedly for a diversity of housing types throughout the city, not just in select neighborhoods.
- FAN embraces a greater abundance and diversity of housing as an opportunity to include more and different people in our neighborhoods.
- The Obama White House Housing Development Toolkit calls for allowing more multi-family buildings to enable more families to live where they want.