Diverstiy and Racism in Austin

MLK day is just around the corner and I thought it would be a great time to talk about inclusion and diversity in all aspects of Austin, as well as our personal lives.

A friend helped gather some links on an actionable issue that each of us can participate in, and on MLK day no less!

Undoing Racism in Austin is having a meeting on Monday the 18th at 6:30 pm, at 105 Riverside. These are monthly meetings talking about the daily effects of white privilege.

The group references on their site the Master plan of the city in 1929 and how zoning and planning efforts led to a highly segregated Austin. These sorts of past initiatives are the kinds of things we’re still working on addressing and undoing in Today’s Austin. I think getting to know the root of these issues at a personal level could help everyone in forming their opinions of how we move forward together as a city, with all races, colors, and socio-economic classes represented.

The link in that calendar item up there leads to the wrong place, so if you’d like to do some pre-reading, you can look over the two page document White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack.

You don’t have to have completed the Undoing Racism training, but is asked that you be willing to do so at a future date by adding yourself to their list of future workshops.

1 Like

I’d like to point out that this meeting is for those who identifies as white.

This is a meeting open to everyone who identifies as white and has completed the Undoing Racism training OR is committed to participating in a future training. We gather to share our history, to support each other in reconnecting with our humanity, and to strategize for racial equity in Austin.

We have a soft start at 6:30 with food and drink (you are welcome to bring some to share) and the meeting starts at 7:00 pm.

If you want more information you are welcome to call Juniper at 512-431-7988 or Lisa at 213-840-1972.

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/render?eid=dGVmcjYxa2IzbmlwbmNuaG5vdnBsM2pvajRfMjAxNjAxMTlUMDAzMDAwWiB1bmRvaW5ncmFjaXNtYXVzdGluQG0&ctz=America/Chicago&sf=true&output=xml#eventpage_6

2 Likes