CNU Discussion on Bold IH-35 Ideas

CityMatters 20x20: The Road to Bold Ideas
Wednesday, June 23rd, 6 p.m.
via Zoom
RSVP

TxDOT intends to widen I-35 in the coming years and I-35, from 290 to Ben White through the urban core, is currently making its way through the Federally-mandated environmental review process.

TxDOT’s vision includes a wider freeway with up to 20 through, managed, bypass, collector, and frontage road lanes. But is this what the city should do with a generational opportunity to remake this corridor? What if Austin wants more from this corridor than a freeway widened to 20 lanes through the heart of the city? Are there viable alternatives for Austin through the urban core?

Cut and Cap, Cap and Stitch, Remove and Replace are three bold community-backed alternative visions for I-35 that are challenging and pushing TxDOT to consider a better and bolder vision for our city.

Come hear more about what TxDOT is proposing, these three community-backed alternatives, where we are in the process, what could happen next, and how you can help.

CNU will host:

Heyden Black Walker of Reconnect Austin,
Adam Greenfiled of Rethink35, and
Melissa Barry of Downtown Austin Alliance

for a lively discussion about their organizations’ vision for the future of this corridor through the heart of our city. The discussion is free and open to the public.