Cherrywood Household Waste Pickup Scheduled for Saturday, August 22

This Saturday, the Cherrywood Neighborhood Association is hosting its second household waste pickup event. The first one was a huge success, giving neighbors a convenient outlet to properly dispose of a variety of household wastes.

This is a great service offered by the neighborhood association, and I’m happy to share this effort with a larger audience. Reposting the original message with permission from CNA Secretary Terry Dyke:

http://cherrywood.org/household-waste-pickup-scheduled-for-saturday-august-22/

The Cherrywood Neighborhood Association is sponsoring its second H-Waste and E-Recycle pickup event, scheduled for this Saturday, August 22 at Cherrywood Green (corner of Cherrywood Rd. and E. 34th St.), 10 a.m.—3 p.m.

Volunteers will accept the paint, oil, antifreeze, batteries and used electronics that you want to get rid of, will hold it in a trailer over the weekend, and then cart it all to the City of Austin recycling centers when they are open during the week.

The last H-Waste pickup event, held in May, was met with a great deal of enthusiasm on the part of Cherrywood householders who were glad to get rid of that hard-to-get-rid-of waste that needs to stay out of the landfill.

Some restrictions apply. When individuals haul in their waste items for recycling, the full range of household hazardous waste items are eligible; however, since this is a group haul, household waste items are restricted to “BOPA” – batteries, oil, paint and antifreeze. Apparently, it’s a Fed thing. You’ll also need to leave your name and zip code when you drop off your stuff Saturday.

What You Can Bring
Batteries (any kind, large or small)
Oil (crankcase or cooking)
Paint in cans (no spray cans, though)
Anti-freeze
What you CANNOT Bring
Fluorescent light bulbs (sorry!)
Household cleaners
Solvents
Pesticides, fertilizer
Chemicals
Other icky stuff … just stick with BOPA and you’ll be right
What You Can Bring, Part II
Dead electronics of all kinds: computers, printers, TVs, monitors, cables, speakers, remotes, phones, routers, amplifiers, stomp boxes, white noise generators, oscilloscopes, bug zappers, foot massagers, face cream warmers, anything with a plug or batteries.

Thanks! I have some paint cans that I need to get rid of.