Austin Strategic Mobility Plan Survey #2

The city is looking for neighbors’ input into the Austin Strategic Mobility Plan. In addition to holding “Traffic Jam” open houses to get input, the city has published a new survey.

As you can see below, maybe 150 - 200 people have responded so far, and affordability, travel choice, and sustainability are currently leading the ranking of goals that are most important to neighbors.

My own personal note: please be aware that “commuter delay” is largely treated as “vehicle delay”, and it appears the planners will interpret that goal as arguing for prioritizing single-occupancy vehicle trips over other modes (and perhaps only secondarily as arguing for dedicated lanes for transit vehicles). As a member of the Multimodal Community Advisory Committee, I argued repeatedly for a different metric that represented “unproductive trip time”. Even if it takes me twice as long to get to work by bus each day than by car, I am working, reading email and news, or otherwise productive during my commute. Thus “commuter delay” is not as important for my transportation choice as it is for someone who chooses to drive to work alone.

I urge you to consider ranking sustainability, travel choice, and health and safety as the top goals, but please respond to the survey as you choose.

1 Like

Current rankings