Austin Mayor Plans to Slash Retail, Office Space in Grove at Shoal Creek - Could Kill the Grove

This could kill the Grove.

Update from Friends of the Grove:

10/18 UPDATE: City Council does not plan to hear significant public testimony or vote on amendments on Thursday (10/20). They will leave the public hearing open so we’ll all have a chance to comment on specific amendments later on.
Mayor Adler has proposed voting the PUD through on first reading only, BUT has proposed voting on a version of Staff’s recommendation with a significant reduction in commercial sqft (as requested by CM Pool). This is a very dangerous first step towards approving a plan that will cut the project down to a level that will not be viable to the developer. The very last thing we all want is to lose all the community benefits that come with a PUD because the developer chooses to go with conventional zoning for the land.
I do not disagree with Mayor Adler’s approach; I believe they need to get the PUD ordinance drafted and passing this on first reading only is a great step towards crafting the final ordinance. I do disagree with what he wants to pass on first reading. It would be much more productive to pass Staff or ZAP’s recommendation instead. If you agree, please let them know!
Steve.Adler@austintexas.gov; Amy.Everhart@austintexas.gov; Kathie.Tovo@austintexas.gov; Joi.Harden@austintexas.gov; Ora.Houston@austintexas.gov; CJ.Hutchins@austintexas.gov; Delia.Garza@austintexas.gov; Katherine.Nicely@austintexas.gov; Sabino.Renteria@austintexas.gov; Ashley.Richardson@austintexas.gov; Greg.Casar@austintexas.gov; John.Lawler@austintexas.gov; Ann.Kitchen@austintexas.gov; Donna.Tiemann@austintexas.gov; Don.Zimmerman@austintexas.gov; Leslie.Pool@austintexas.gov; Louisa.Brinsmade@austintexas.gov; Ellen.Troxclair@austintexas.gov; Sheri.Gallo@austintexas.gov; Taylor.Smith@austintexas.gov

1 Like