Hurricane Relief Measures: STRs, Occupancy Limits, Zonings

Thank you Roger, I completely agree.

Thanks for speaking up, and I don’t completely disagree - I’d add that this forum is for fleshing out the viability and application of policy to challenges that all of our neighbors are facing, current and hopeful. I think that the knowledge sharing FAN has on tap here is a big part of what the organization offers to it’s members and the public.

If a member of FAN suggests suspending current regulations (on any issues), then as a leader of these conversation it’s necessary for FAN to get folks up to speed on what the current policies are so we can have a fruitful conversation on whether that’s a practical suggestion.

By no means should someone here presenting information be interpreted that the organization itself is in support of a position - that’s why we have you folks vote on things! We want educated and and passionate voices telling City Leaders about the policies they believe in.

The other suggestions, beyond STRs that @chris78701 made - on Occupancy Limits & MF rezoning also have some learning curves to approach. I’ve only got a limited amount of time myself to offer up to these conversations, and I went with the low-hanging fruit of STR Ordinances.

If anyone else wants to make info available or make a policy case, I hope they’d chime in further to get folks over that hump.

I appreciate the feedback. The post was intended to help initiate the conversation but I my opinion is unchanged regarding the need to reform the policies I outlined. Especially in light of the crisis.

Especially in the light of the very-real threat of future environmental catastrophes.

While we debate this, City Council has already approved a mega-shelter far away from much-needed public resources. Though there are some mitigating circumstances to help the decision to place refugees in an industrial park, I still see it as another example of a Council unserious about tackling this issue.

They clearly weighed the costs/benefits of a downtown location, like the Convention Center, and instead chose to weigh more heavily business concerns.

“Welcome to our roomiest industrial warehouse!”

@Pete, yes I’d be willing to help draft some language.

“I think some of the noise and “party” clauses of the newer ordinance aren’t really hindering Austin’s ability to take in evacuees.”

Nuisance laws were already on the books and not enforced to the satisfaction of vocal STR-opponents, same for “stealth dorms”. I have no where near the opposition to some reasonable nuisance ordinances being fairly enforced. With the current APD and Code Enforcement office, like with curfews, I’m not confident enough they’ll be fairly enforced.

“I am not hearing that Austin needs to place Harvey refugees.”

Rebuilding these communities are going to take years, jobs won’t return instantly. The way i see it, Austin can either be a welcoming place to refugees, or not.

However, Alysha said it better than I could, “To say that folks displaced by Harvey won’t need to have space made for them, not just in our hearts, but in our offices, on our busses, and of course in our neighborhoods, is short sighted.”