:FAN: Carport Exemption

Thanks for posting this. The rules as they are now are far too complicated. I worked hard to try and support the two families in Zilker who put up garage doors, and was sorely disappointed to see the 6 members of the ZNA old guard go against the wishes more than 100 neighbors who signed petitions and wrote letters. The garage doors had to come down, but I’d love to see that reversed for my neighbors. The houses are only 2500sqft they are not “McMansions” compared to most standards.

I would support an increase in FAR and then home owners can make a choice on if they value storage or house. Builders will do what makes money, and I’m guessing that will be split the difference and add a little more house, but leave a one bay enclosed garage.

2 Likes

Last night the planning commission voted against removing the carport exemption. This is a great first step in the direction that FAN members recommended when passing the vote on the carport exemption. Hopefully there will be more discussions in the future on the planning commission to go further. AURA, the Austin Chapter of the American Institute for Architects, the Infill Builders, the Homebuilders, and FAN all joined in making various recommendations at the meeting to not remove the carport exemption or to go father in overhauling the land code.

1 Like

The city council voted against removing this exemption yesterday, Oct 6, which is what FAN voted to recommend.

AGAINST - Garza, Renteria, Adler, Casar, Gallo
FOR - Pool, Kitchen, Tovo, Houston, Zimmerman

Item 55 (1 of 2)
65:20
http://austintx.swagit.com/play/10062016-623

2 Likes