Time to weigh in on The Grove?

I agree with Ricky’s suggestions.

1 Like

Good stuff.

Regarding parkland, I think it’s important that Imagine Austin states on page 158:

“Despite having an above-average amount of parkland citywide, many neighborhoods are not within walking distance of a park. The absence of these smaller parks means that many areas of the city are not adequately served by the park system.”

And here is a corresponding complete communities indicator: “Households within ½ mile distance of park or accessible open space.” You don’t move this indicator in the right direction by increasing acreage; you increase it with smaller parks interspersed among as much residential density as possible.

I suggest these revisions:

• We support granting zoning and entitlements at the Grove at Shoal Creek necessary to create a dense, walkable, mixed-use community with an abundance of housing and jobs, and a diversity a housing types and sizes.

• We urge the developer, city staff, Environmental Board, and other boards and commissions to maintain or increase - rather than decrease - the planned and allowable density for the site in a manner that supports frequent transit service and realizes the known environmental benefits of compact development in our urban core.

• Consistent with Imagine Austin’s call for smaller parks serving greater numbers of households within walking distance, we ask the city to calculate parkland requirements for this site in a way that does not focus on acreage, which limits space available for housing and jobs, but instead maximizes opportunities for people to live within a short distance of parkland and open space.

Rather than “taking sides” and expressing across-the-board support with language such as “we support ARG’s proposal”, I’d prefer we state more specific things we’d like to see that strongly support the FAN vision and that may improve upon ARG’s proposal.

Just some suggestions. Please feel free to ignore them :grin:

Roger, I definitely agree with your suggestions regarding point one.

For point 2, I want to convey the idea that density should not be viewed as something which should be arbitrarily reduced. Perhaps if I provide a bit of context my idea will make a little more sense.

Originally, the only factor limiting what the developer would be permitted to build was traffic. Basically, during early talks with Staff, the developer agreed not to build above a level at which traffic would be made worse on the surrounding streets, given the improvements to existing street infrastructure the developer committed to fund.

According to the City’s Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA), the site should be able to support close 4 million square feet of total development (which would have supported 3 million square feet of housing, or 2,000-2,500 units). And we know that TIA’s usually overstate traffic in the core, because they assume that people drive everywhere, even in mixed-use developments.

In June 2015, the developer agreed to cap housing at 1,515 units (excluding Affordable and Congregate Care units).

In September 2015, Staff asked the developer to cap housing at 1,695 units including Affordable units (essentially placing a cap on Affordable units)

In February 2016, Staff asked the developer to cap Congregate Care units at 600

In March 2016, Staff asked the developer to cap multifamily units at 650. The first 250 Affordable multifamily units do not count towards this cap, but additional multifamily units do. Why Staff feels the need to limit the proportion of rental housing in the development is beyond me.

In May 2016, Staff asked the developer to reduce square footage to 2.4 million. The developer says they will probably have to cut housing to 1,250 units to meet this demand.
In late May, the developer submitted a proposal to PARD reducing the number of Congregate Care units from 650 to 150, because PARD was counting congregate care units with kitchenettes as residential dwelling units in determining parkland dedication requirements.

A few weeks ago, the Environmental Board passed a resolution asking the developer to reduce square footage to 2.1 million, which would mean an additional loss of around 300 units.

So according to the TIA, which overestimates traffic, the site would support around 2,500 housing units, 600 congregate care units, and 600k square feet of other uses.

The most recent Staff recommendation will likely mean the developer can only build 1,250 housing units, and 150 Congregate Care units, or less than half of what the site could handle, with additional caps limiting office to 210k square feet and retail to 150k square feet. The EV Board recommendation, if followed, would likely mean a further reduction in housing units to 950. Keep in mind that the EV board is an advisory body with limited power, so the developer may choose not to adhere to their recommendations.

1 Like

@cevangill, @NatalieGauldin, @rcauvin - can the complete communities indicators be used as metrics here to quantify progress against the goals of Imagine Austin? Some are always going to want “more”, others “less”, it would be nice to have the conversation go back to how it aligns with the agreed upon strategic plan.

1 Like

Tying this back to the first FAN principle:

Our neighborhoods should be inclusive and friendly, welcome new residents, encourage participation by the full diversity of neighborhood stakeholders, and offer a diverse, abundant, and affordable choice of housing options.

My main concern is that the “abundance” of housing is under threat. There is a chorus of people calling for a less dense development on this site, and city Staff and Boards and Commissions appear to be listening. Moreover, there is no compelling reason that density should be reduced on this site, since the City’s traffic study confirms the development can handle much more density than proposed, given the infrastructure improvements the developer has agreed to fund.

I think this is a great opportunity for FAN to insert itself into the discussion as countervailing voice. Those who resist abundant housing in the urban core have no qualms about speaking up; however those who support abundant housing supply and embrace new neighbors tend to be much more timid in their messaging, IMO.

This is also a great opportunity for us to gently push back against the outdated paradigm that sometimes persists at the city’s Planning Department, this idea that density and housing supply should be discouraged or dis-incentivized.

Phil, I agree that quantifying the benefits of more housing could be powerful

1 Like

Here is my idea, incorporating some of what Roger suggested:

• We support granting zoning and entitlements at the Grove at Shoal Creek necessary to create a dense, walkable, mixed-use community with an abundance of housing and jobs, and a diversity a housing types and sizes.

• Due to our severe housing crunch and the known environmental benefits of compact development, we ask city Staff and the Environmental Board to reconsider demands for the developer to significantly reduce density on this site in our urban core.

• Consistent with Imagine Austin’s call for increasing the number of households living within walking distance of parks, we ask the city to calculate parkland requirements for PUDs in a way that does not discourage housing supply in the urban core. In order to promote parkland accessibility, the city should encourage developers to maximize the number of people that can live near existing and future parks instead of focusing on acreage per capita requirements, which incentivize developers to reduce housing to meet parkland requirements.

Anyone have thoughts on this? The PUD is going before ZAP in a week, so I think it would be great to have the ability to present the FAN resolution at the ZAP meeting. Which would mean we need to get this up for a vote soon.

It looks good to me unless anyone else has any suggestions?

Alright, here is where I’m at. I am still open to suggestions and changes, and I would love to hear from more people, but the clock is ticking…

• Due to our severe housing crunch and the known environmental benefits of compact, mixed-use development, we ask city Staff and the Environmental Board to reconsider demands for the developer to significantly reduce density on this site in our urban core.

• Consistent with Imagine Austin’s call for increasing the number of households living within walking distance of parks, we ask the city to calculate parkland requirements for PUDs in a way that does not discourage housing supply in the urban core or compromise the viability of dense, mixed-use developments. In order to promote parkland accessibility, the city should encourage developers to maximize the number of people that can live near existing and future parks instead of focusing on acreage per capita requirements, which incentivize developers to reduce housing to meet parkland requirements.

1 Like

Is there a way to make it a little more general so it could apply to other developments also? It would be great to be able to apply this resolution to other larger developments in the future without taking separate votes on the issue. It looks like you might be able to replace “the Grove at Shoal Creek” with something like “developments” or “developments in central Austin” in the first part and then rephrase in the second part “reconsider demands for the developer to significantly reduce density on this site in our urban core” to something else and that would make it apply more broadly - “to not demand developers to significantly reduce density on sites in our urban core” or something similar.

Pete that is an interesting idea. I did try to make it general enough so that it addresses city policy surrounding PUDs, but I do think it would be helpful to mention the Grove specifically. Large PUDs in the urban core are fairly rare (and might become nonexistent after CodeNEXT), so I do not think recyclability should be a major concern.

However, I do think a separate, carefully crafted, overreaching FAN resolution addressing infill/rezoning policy could be a very powerful tool. I think we would want to take our time to get it right, and engage as many FANs as possible in crafting that resolution.

I think this resolution is great. Like Pete, I, too, wanted it to be more generally applicable to all PUDs, but after another read of Evan’s wording, I think this strikes a good balance between overall FAN principles and some very specific language on the Grove in particular. My fear is that a more general resolution may not hold as much weight as one that has been voted on by the FAN membership, naming the Grove at Shoal Creek, so there is no mistaking our intent. This ties our ideals to a very real world example.

Thanks for your work on this!

OK, so how do we get this up for a vote? I think we’re racing the clock against the June 21st ZAP meeting. And if ZAP does not approve the PUD, or if they vote to significantly reduce the density, the Grove as currently planned could be dead.

The process is for at least one member of the FAN board to sponsor the resolution. When a FAN board member sponsors a resolution, it does not necessarily mean that she favors the resolution, only that she believes it is consistent with the FAN vision, is not frivolous, and is ready for a vote of the membership.

I’ve definitely expressed in my own NA that I’m not amenable to a lot of the seemingly quid-pro-quo resolutions that a lot of N’hood Associations have been spreading amongst themselves. This kind of behavior somewhat undermines the 10-1 aspect of City govt, but I’m also not so sure I’m behind the 10-1 structure. There’s a lot of mixed feeling on my end is what I’m getting at here.

I also could see how a resolution to add the amount of housing proposed at The Grove would be beneficial to the City at large and an example of the implementation of Imagine Austin initiatives.

If we’ve come to a stopping point on anyone submitting more edits on this particular resolution, I suppose the rest should be left up to members to decide if this indeed fits their idea of what a FAN Resolution should work toward. It doesn’t hurt to put it to a vote. Putting this forth doesn’t mean FAN necessarily supports it, and the outcome could help us understand whether or not targeted issues like this are important for our members.

I’ll make the motion here to go forward with the wording of this resolution by 5:30 CST Thursday, as a vote to the membership if no more edits are suggested before then.

1 Like

I second the motion. I definitely favor the development and Evan’s resolution.

@alyshalynn, I’m going to take the position that this resolution is exactly the type of thing we not only need to have, but need to do much more often - real world examples where land use decisions are being made, and how it ties into the FAN vision + Imagine Austin.

Our member NA’s sometimes experience similar challenges, and we certainly share many at a city wide level, so it would seem like the point is to have NA’s work together to deal with them, which FAN should encourage and aid. In my humble opinion, it’s in the more is needed category.

1 Like

With no suggested edits to this resolution after our outreach to members, it looks like this specific language will be going to a vote with a few others in the upcoming days.

Watch your inboxes for your Helios voting ballots and check out the other discussions going on now:

Homestead Exemptions

Complete Communities Indicators

Carport Exemption

I’m baffled by this poorly-formatted email I just got from Helios. It claims I just voted, when I have not:

Dear Chad Vanderlinden,

Dear <VOTER_NAME>,

<BODY>

Election URL:  https://vote.heliosvoting.org/helios/e/june-2016-resolutions/vote
Election Fingerprint:  JgkhggffdJhgfkuhgkfjfjtfJfjftYtrjhvbgfJjgvj

Your voter ID: <VOTER_LOGIN_ID>
Your password: <VOTER_PASSWORD>

We have recorded your vote with smart tracker:

<SMART_TRACKER>

You may re-vote if you wish: only your last vote counts.

--
Helios

Election URL:  https://vote.heliosvoting.org/helios/e/june-2016-resolutions/vote
Election Fingerprint:  JgkhggffdJhgfkuhgkfjfjtfJfjftYtrjhvbgfJjgvj

Your voter ID: thiswasntmyrealidanyway
Your password: norwasthismyrealpassword

--
Helios

The first part was mistakenly added in. You haven’t voted unless you have voted. =) The ballots have been resent.

2 Likes